I'm new to both BikeCAD and frame design/bike building, but loving both. Having decided to model two of my own bikes, as a way of getting to grips with the software. I've made a list of a few things that I either couldn't find, or are missing and I'd personally like to see. Apologies if I've not looked hard enough! In no particular order:
- I cannot seem to set the colour of the dropouts? My track bike has stainless ones front & rear, just wanted to get the best look as I could
- Animation performance is dreadful when derailleur and/or chain is active, I found a forum post on this topic, I pointed jconsole at BikeCAD and it seemed to be spending all its time in a java.lang.Math.acos (http://blog.juma.me.uk/2011/02/23/performance-of-fastmath-from-commons-m...) so maybe an option to simply not animate these components would be a way round?
- I cannot see how to make any changes to the fork drop outs? As mentioned, stainless on the track bike, but also they aren't perpendicular to the ground (follow the line of the forks a little, not exactly) and this affects the wheel position... A *really* minor point, it is 1mm or so
- I cannot see how to set fastback seat stays? I set the lug details, but the top fo the seat stay just floats over the lug, again, minor point, but the ability to set the horizontal endpoint would be great
- Lug lining on the paint options would be fabulous
- My road bike (Orbea Orca) has a top tube that is basically flat along the top, but arched underneath (image I found: http://www.bicicosta.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/OrcaTLT.jpg) obviously this something that only really applies to carbon, but it'd be nice to be able to mirror that look
- A friend asked if I could model a Giant Propel he is looking at, I noticed it has aero front brakes, behind the fork, I couldn't fathom how to do that?
- Undo via command-z or control-z would be great
- A five minute auto save would be a fantastic addition
- The addition of a 'hub library' in the wheel area would be great
- I've searched for this, but haven't found it - tube offset (forward/backward) within component, i.e. steerer tube within headtube, I played around with variable sized headtubes etc. but there didn't seem to be a way to offset the physical tube for the steerer fron the front/rear of the head tube itself? Obviously, this really only applies to carbon and aero type frame designs
- Some windows don't make good use of available screen space - on the 'Paint' window for example, the 'Decal text and Colours' is very small, and doesn't grow with the window, means loads of scrolling in all directions
- On the Mac, the icon isn't high resolution, looks really fuzzy?
- Can the web site keep me logged in for longer? User preference maybe?
- Is there an easier way to display values (lengths, angles etc.) maybe context sensitive somehow? like context menu->change colour/geometry
Thanks for listening, and apologies in advance for any 'the answer to that one is under your nose' responses :)
Cheers - Robert...